Ripped this meme-note thing off Facebook, as it seemed like a good blog exercise. The instructions are:
Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it.
So just to be clear, you don't have to be proud of them or even really like the specific recording anymore, but you do need to be able to identify a period where you listened to the record, cassette tape, CD, or computer file over and over again ad nauseum because you just couldn't get enough. To that end, I think it is also nice to arrange them chronologically in the order you heard them. I like that there are 15, so you can get a good chunk of time in...of course, 15 allows you to be a little bit choosy about what you include, but do try to make it interesting.
Here's what I'm going with:
- Roxette - Look Sharp
- La Boheme - Beecham; Bjorling, De los Angeles
- Counting Crows - August and Everything After
- Rachmaninoff Second Piano Concerto - Rachmoninoff himself playing, Philadelphia?
- Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
- Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
- Cosi fan Tutte - Ostman; Drottingham Orch
- Grateful Dead - American Beauty
- Sweeney Todd - Orig. B'way Cast
- Phoebe Snow - Greatest Hits
- Well Tempered Clavier Bk 1 - Glenn Gould
- Leonard Cohen - Greatest Hits
- Nanci Griffiths - Other Voices, Other Rooms
- Lohengrin - Solti; Domingo, Norman, etc.
- Old Crow Medicine Show - OCMS
- Brahms Requiem - Previn/RPO
Oops. That was 16. Oh well. Anyhow, I don't think I'm going to tag 15 people (tagging has grown excessive, no?), but I would sort of like to see what Maury and Lisa Hirsch and Patrick the PW have to say about this, so you may consider yourselves tagged if you pass by this way. The rest of you should just do it if you feel so inclined, in comments or at your own space...